Weed Abatement is the responsibility of all property owners, including those of empty, burned lots.
City of Santa Rosa: Specifics are detailed at City of Santa Rosa FAQs ». Here is a very general summary:
City of Santa Rosa Weed Abatement
(general page with links to related documents)
1. Parcels less than 5 acres in size
- Must have all combustible growth in excess of 4” in height disked, or cut, and removed
2. Parcels larger than 5 acres
- Firebreaks may be considered as an alternative to clearing the entire parcel. Property owners may submit a Fire Hazard Reduction Plan to the Fire Department for review, including the request to construct firebreaks on the property. The Fire Hazard Reduction Plan must be accepted, and the use of firebreaks must be specifically approved by the Fire Department prior to the compliance date.
- If the use of firebreaks is approved by the Fire Department, a minimum 30-foot-wide firebreak must be constructed along all property lines. All combustible growth must be cut and removed from within a minimum of 30 feel from all structures and all access roads on the property. All combustible growth must also be removed from any sidewalks, planter strips, alleys or ditches which are adjacent to the parcel. Additional 30-foot-wide “cross cut” firebreaks must be constructed throughout the remainder of the parcel in order ‘to divide the remaining combustible material into separate sections, no more than 2.5 acres in size.
3. Best practices for weed abatement during fire season
- Machinery that does not produce sparks
4. Complaints about non-compliance – use Complaint Form (on website)
- Fax to: 707-543-3520
- Email to: email@example.com
- Online (Also available in the app store for iPhone & Android under My Santa Rosa).
- Mail to: City of Santa Rosa Weed Abatement Program , 2373 Circadian Way, Santa Rosa, CA 95407
Also see: Building & Living in a Wildfire Zone
Neighbors Together ~ Strong & Resilient does not provide any advice or endorse any service provider or agency.
October 2017 Northern California Firestorm: Tubbs Fire in Santa Rosa: Coffey Park; Fountaingrove (Hidden Valley Estates (HVE) is lumped with FG); Larkfield-Wikiup-Mark West-Riebli; Rincon Valley-Deer Trail-Calistoga Rd; Bennett Ridge (Nuns/Annadel Fire) . . . See more . . . »