- This event has passed.
Free Financial Planning for Fire Survivors – Chico (July, Aug 2019)
Saturday June 29, 2019 - Saturday August 31, 2019
July 2019 Date Added!
Free Financial Planning for Camp (and other) Fire Survivors
Certified Financial Planner (“CFP“) volunteers and the Financial Planning Association of Northern California Pro Bono Committee are offering free financial planning sessions for fire survivors. A CFP will provide free (no strings attached) and objective financial advice addressing your biggest concerns and decisions. These one-hour sessions are focused on advice–not sales pitches. If there is interest, more Financial Planning Days may be scheduled.
Financial questions often arise around:
Budgets ~ Investments ~ Taxes* ~ Insurance
A question as simple as “Should I rebuild my home after the fire” touches on all of these areas.
- “How will the home rebuild impact my ability to save for the future?”
- I paid off my mortgage and now rates are higher. Can I afford this rebuild?
- Higher rebuilding costs mean I can’t really rebuild what I had, what trade-offs should I consider with a rebuild/retirement/college for my children/other goals?
- “What are the tax consequences of selling the property and moving?”*
- “Where should l keep my insurance proceeds while I work on the rebuild plan?”
Pro Bono CFPs can help those in the community work through questions like these and more in a safe environment. This article from the New York Times further describes the benefits of having an independent financial sounding board when making financial decisions.
All Pro Bono volunteers sign a pledge to not solicit business or hand out business cards. They are here to serve. All advice is free.
The consultation is for one hour. A full financial plan is not created in an hour. This is a safe environment to explore questions and options. Follow-up with specialized experts may be necessary.
* While Certified Financial Planners have some general tax knowledge, specific disaster-related tax questions should be directed to a tax professional who is experienced in such matters.
- Saturday, July 27, 2019 -1pm – 5pm, Chico Masonic Family Lodge (1110 W.
East Ave, Chico) To book an appointment: https://calendly.com/fpd/chico
- Saturday, Aug 31, 2019 – 1pm – 5pm, Chico Public Library (1108 Sherman Way, Chico)
To book a 1hr appointment: https://calendly.com/fpd/chico
Brought to you by the Financial Planning Association of NorCal Pro Bono Committee: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Saturday, June 29, 2019 – 1pm – 5pm, Chico Public Library (1108 Sherman Way, Chico)
- Saturday, May 11, 2019 – 1pm – 4pm – Oroville Public Library (1820 Mitchell Ave, Oroville).
Neighbors Together ~ Strong & Resilient posts events as a public service and does not provide any advice or endorse any service provider or agency.